Do you need to keep track of someone’s location? The Google Maps app is a great tool for tracking someone’s GPS location and viewing it on a map.
In this article you’ll learn a couple methods to track someone’s cell phone location on Google Maps without them knowing.
***UPDATE: Google now sends regular notifications to anyone sharing their location. This makes it impossible to view someone’s location on Google Maps without their knowledge. I recommend a service like Geofinder.mobi instead. You can try it for one day by clicking here.***
You’ll also learn about tracking software that allows you to see much more than just someone’s location. These methods work for tracking a family member, friends, and more. It can be used on both Android and iOS smartphones.
Contents of this Guide
- How to Track Someone On Google Maps Without Them Knowing
- How to Find Someone on Google Maps Using a Phone Tracker App
- Can You Track Someone on Google Maps using just their number?
- Is There a Google Maps Phone Tracker?
- How can I track my car with Google Maps?
- Can Google Maps be Used to Track Another Phone?
- Does Google Maps Notify Someone Who is Sharing Their Location?
- Can You Disable Location Sharing Notifications in Google Maps?
How to Track Someone On Google Maps Without Them Knowing
There is no way to track someone on Google Maps without them knowing. Google sends regular notifications to anyone who has shared their location with another person.
If you need to track someone in secret, click the following link to jump to the section below on using a tracking app to find someone’s location on Google Maps.
Google Maps does allow you to track someone’s location WITH their permission. In the following section you’ll learn how to use Google Maps to view the GPS location of someone’s phone.
Track Someone for FREE Using the Google Maps App
In this section you’ll learn how to track someone for FREE using Location Sharing within the Google Maps app. This feature is free and is included with all versions of the app.
What is Location Sharing?
Location Sharing is a feature in the Google Maps app that allows users to share their GPS location with a specified list of contacts. It is often used by friends or family to share real-time map locations.
Location sharing cannot be used to track anyone without their knowledge. Google Maps sends regular notifications to users who have location sharing enabled. You CAN track someone without their knowledge using Geofinder.mobi or a spy app.
What Is Required to Enable Location Sharing?
Below is everything needed to enable location sharing on a cell phone.
- Physical access to the phone.
- The passcode to unlock the phone.
- The Google Maps app must be installed on the phone.
- The user must be logged into their Google account.
How to Enable Location Sharing in Google Maps
Below you will find instructions for enabling Location Sharing within the Google Maps app.
- Open the Settings app and make sure location services are enabled
- On the target Android phone or tablet, open the Google Maps app .
- On the map, tap the right corner with the user’s profile picture
- Select Location Sharing
- Tap “Share Location”.
- Tap “Until you turn this off”
- Select your device from those listed and tap Share
- A message will appear saying “XYZ can see your location”
This method requires you to have access to their phone and their passcode.
How to Locate Someone on Google Maps Using Location Sharing
Once you’ve setup location sharing you can now view someone’s cell phone location on the map.
Follow the directions below to view someone’s current location on Google Maps.
- Open Google Maps using the icon on your phone.
- Click on the hamburger icon (or your profile picture depending on your Android version) and tap location sharing.
- Tap on the shared device at the bottom of the screen.
- You will now be able to view their current location.
- To update/refresh their current location, tap the friend’s icon
- Tap “More” and then “Refresh”.
If you truly need to track someone on Google Maps without them knowing you’ll need to use software like Geofinder.mobi or a spy app.
You can click here to check out Geofinder.mobi.
The methods below will show you how to track someone without their permission and without access to their phone.
How to Stop Seeing Someone’s Location on Google Maps
If you no longer need to see someone’s real-time location on your map, you can hide it by following the steps below:
- On your computer or phone open the Google Maps app .
- Click Menu and tap “Location sharing“.
- Tap person’s icon.
- Then tap Hide on map.
This does not disable location sharing on their phone. It only hides their location on yours. To disable sharing follow the steps in the section below.
How to Turn Off Google Maps Tracking
It’s quite simple to stop sharing your location with an iPhone or Android without any notification. Follow the steps below to turn off location tracking within Google Maps.
- Open Google Maps on the target device.
- Click on the user’s picture in the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap location sharing.
- Find your device from the list and remove it.
Location sharing will now be disabled on the device.
How to Find Someone on Google Maps Using a Phone Tracker App
A Cell Phone Tracking app or Spy app allows you to track someone’s location in Google Maps without the person knowing. In some cases you do not need physical access to the device to start tracking them.
In the next section you’ll find the best Google Maps tracking solutions.
Best Apps to Secretly Track Someone’s Location on Google Maps
The apps below allow you to view someone’s current location in the Google Maps app. These apps do NOT require location sharing to be enabled.
- LocationTracker.mobi – requires only their number.
- Geofinder.mobi – good solution if you can’t access their phone.
- uMobix – best for Android devices (requires access).
- EyeZy – best for iOS Devices like iPhones.
- FlexiSPY – best for call recording and ambient listening (requires access).
Phone tracking apps use GPS technology to pinpoint the exact location of a phone. These apps offer more options like:
- monitoring phone call logs and contacts
- view text messages
- view messaging app conversations
- see web browser history
iPhone tracking apps use the device’s iCloud account to track GPS information. This method requires you to know the user’s iCloud username and password.
Android phone tracking apps require you to install the application directly on the phone. This option requires you to have physical access to the device, as well as the users passcode.
We cover tracking apps in greater detail in this article about the best apps to track a phone without them knowing.
How to Use a Tracking App to See Someone’s Location on Google Maps
Follow the steps below to find someone on Google Maps using a tracking app:
- Sign up for a tracking app (find out why uMobix is my current favorite).
- Follow the installation instructions for the type of phone you need to track.
- Open your control panel to see the phone’s current GPS location.
Can You Track Someone on Google Maps using just their number?
No, there is no way to track someone on Google Maps using their phone number. Tracking someone on Google Maps requires physical access to their phone to enable location sharing. A location sharing link must be sent to your phone from the target phone.
Is There a Google Maps Phone Tracker?
Google offers the “Google Find My Device” app in their play store. This app can help you locate your phone or someone else’s phone.
How can I track my car with Google Maps?
It is possible to track your car using Google Maps if you leave a cell phone in your car. Before you can do this you’ll need to enable location sharing on your phone.
Can Google Maps be Used to Track Another Phone?
Yes, Google Maps can be used to track another phone. Location sharing must be setup on the phone you wish to track. This requires the permission of the phone’s owner.
Does Google Maps Notify Someone Who is Sharing Their Location?
Yes, Google sends regular notifications to users who are sharing their location. This includes phone notifications and emails. This ensures the user is aware that they are sharing their location data.
Can You Disable Location Sharing Notifications in Google Maps?
Yes, you can turn off location sharing notifications using these step-by-step instructions to disable Google Maps location sharing notifications.