Miller Maxstar 150 TIG STL Welder Review
When it comes to reliable welding equipment Miller is one of the best names in the business. They make all of their equipment right here in the U.S.A. using only top quality components. And all of their products are backed by an incredible support team.
The Maxstar 150 STL TIG welder is one of their better known welding products. It took first place in our best TIG welder of 2017 competition. Let's take a look at it's capabilities to see how it stacks up against it's competitors.
Maxstar 150 STL TIG Welder Review
The Miller 150 STL is one of the most versatile TIG welders currently on the market. It offers both TIG and stick welding capabilities as well as a number of features that make it highly portable. It weighs in at just under 14lbs, has a handy carry strap, and even has a multi-voltage plug for quickly switching between 120V and 240V power sources.
Rated Welding Output
115 VAC, 15 A
100A @14.0VDC, 100% duty cycle
115 VAC, 20 A
100A @14.0VDC, 100% duty cycle, 150A @16.0VDC, 30% duty cycle
100A @ 14VDC, 100% duty cycle, 150A @16VDC 30% duty cycle
115 VAC, 15 A
20 –70 A
70A @22.8VDC 100% duty cycle
115 VAC, 20 A
70A @22.8VDC 100% duty cycle, 100A @24.0VDC 35% duty cycle
100A @24.0VDC 100% duty cycle, 150A @26.0VDC 30% duty cycle
For TIG welding applications it's amperage range is between 5-150A. It offers a 100% duty cycle at 100A and a 30% duty cycle at 150A. Millers Lite-Arc technology allows for TIG arc initiation without the use of high frequency.
In addition to the lightweight design and inverter power source the Maxstar 150 is loaded with useful features.
- MVP (multi-voltage plug) for use with 115V or 230V outlets
- Fan-On-Demand cooling system kicks on only when necessary, reducing dust and debris intake into the unit
- auto-line technology circuit for connecting to 115 or 230 VAC
- Adaptive hot start allows for positive arc starts without sticking
- remote control for amperage control
- Lift-arc technology allows for TIG arc initiation without using high frequency
- At 13.7lbs it's lightweight and very portable
- Easily switch between 115V and 230V with MVP plug
- Excellent thermal protection and fan-on-demand to extend usable life
- PFC offers excellent performance on 120V, prevents breakers tripping
- Very user friendly
- cannot weld aluminum
- not able to weld thicker materials
- foot pedal sold separately, very worthwhile though.
For lightweight TIG welding the Miller Maxstar 150 STL is a great machine. At lower amperage it's got a great duty cycle, though it drops significantly at higher outputs. If you need a TIG welder that is both reliable and portable this one is tough to beat.